BY MIRIAM ZARRIGA
The call for security personnel in the Highlands region began on Friday 01 April.
Police Commissioner David Manning said the Highland provinces would have a rapid deployment of men and women from the police, PNG Defense Force and Port Moresby Corrections to help with the workforce on the ground.
He said the personnel would be divided into seven provinces and await the start of the national general election.
Across the country, six police commanders have started their policing operations.
New Ireland Police say they will have 300 officers on the ground.
Provincial police commander Chief Inspector Felix Nebanat said all personnel would come from both regular police and support from the province’s auxiliary police.
Chimbu says it has 460 police officers on duty in the province.
Provincial Police Commander Superintendent David Warap said they were awaiting additional reinforcements.
Morobe Province has received K3 million from Morobe Provincial Government, with Commander-in-Chief Jacob Singura saying that K1 million will be used for security operations for elections in the province.
“The remainder will be used to cover allowances for additional PNGDF and CS manpower as well as logistical support for security operations,” Singura said.
For West Sepik, provincial police commander Chief Inspector Joe Poema said hotspots had been identified in the province and weekly briefings were being held to ensure officers were aware of this. that was happening.
Mr. Poema said the policemen were ready to visit the Telefomin station this week under the sponsorship of the Telefomin District Development Authority to carry out awareness raising and collect intelligent evaluation reports.
They will stay there until the end of this month.
He said if there was airlift support, they would also travel to Oksapmin, Yapsie and local government areas of Numea to conduct awareness campaigns and risk assessments.
The other provinces did not provide The Post-Courrier with their update on their election security plans.