You don’t have to worry about accidentally sending emails again, as long as you’re quick enough.
How many times have you emailed your colleagues only to realize you made a mistake or forgot to mention something else?
Luckily, Apple’s Mail app lets you unsend an email if you want, provided your Mac is up to date. Below, we’ll show you how, but before that, let’s briefly discuss how this feature works.
How the Undo Send feature works in the Mail app
The Mail app on your Mac doesn’t do anything fancy like pull an email from mail servers if you decide not to send it. Instead, it briefly delays messages before sending them, allowing you to cancel the delivery if you wish.
The problem is that the delay time is only 10 seconds, so you have to be fast; you have the option to increase it to 30 seconds by adjusting your email preferences.
Also, another thing; The “Undo Send” feature is only available in Mail for macOS Ventura and later, so you can’t use it if your Mac is running an older version of macOS.
How to Unsend in Mail App for Mac
Here’s what you need to do to unsend an email in the macOS Mail app:
- Send the email.
- If you change your mind, click immediately Cancel send in the lower left corner of the window. Again, you only have 10 seconds to do this. So if you don’t see the option, the Mail app has already finished delivering the email.
- By clicking Cancel send should open the email as a draft. Correct the error and resend it. You can undo it as many times as you want as long as you click Cancel send within 10 seconds.
How to increase send delay time in mail app
You can always give yourself a little extra time to unsend an email before your Mac’s Mail app sends an email. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open the Mail app and select Mail > Settings in the macOS menu bar.
- Go to Composition tongue.
- Under Send, you will find the Cancel sending delay setting, which you can change to 20 Where 30 seconds.
Cancel the send to correct your mistakes
The ability to unsend emails in Mail for Mac is a phenomenal addition and should often be more useful than you think. But remember to increase the delay time if you want more time to undeliver emails.
Apple also introduced Unsend in the Messages app, giving you up to two minutes to unsend a text and avoid awkward moments.
Undo Send is also a feature of iOS 16, so if you have an iPhone, be sure to check it out.